Sunday, August 8, 2010

Wednesday August 4

Wednesday: So I am in Haiti now. But let me back up just a bit. I left Bella Coola on Tuesday August 3 and drove to Kelowna arriving there 7:00 am. I did a little last minute shopping, some of which was for the hospital here in Haiti. I had gotten an email on Tuesday from the Volunteer Coordinator, Amy Lindsey, here at Hopital Adventiste d’Haiti, requesting that if at all possible could I please bring a supply of three kinds of Glucometer Strips and 18 double action spring loaded hinges. I was able to find two of the kinds of strips from two different stores but after going to three suppliers of door hardware and no luck and no more time, I had to give up on the hinges. I flew out of Kelowna with Horizon Airlines at 12:20 pm and arrived in Seattle at 1:30. I collected my luggage and went back through Security and checked my luggage in and got my boarding pass. They were already starting to board the plane on the next leg of my journey which was Las Vegas. We arrived in Vegas a little early, just before 5 pm. That gave me a few hours to relax and check emails and look around at the skyline. At 10:30 pm, I left Las Vegas on the Red Eye flight to Miami. As soon as we were air born I knocked out. It seemed like no time at all and they were announcing our approach to Miami. I had to scramble on this one. I walked for about half an hour to reach my departure gate. I was beginning to wonder if I would get there in time. When I arrived huffing and puffing I was told I wasn’t the last one they were waiting for and to “relax you’re here now, we’re not leaving you behind.” That was refreshing considering some of the other airline experiences I’ve had in the past As we touched down on the slightly rough runway of Port au Prince two hours later (8:00 am local time), there was a collective sigh of relief, a few “thank you Jesus” and then applause from the passengers onboard.

No comments: