Monday, July 19, 2010

I am Leonard Kozak from Bella Coola, British Columbia, Canada. Bella Coola is a small community of just over two thousand people nestled in the Coastal Mountains located about half way between Vancouver and Prince Rupert on the map but accessable by road 454 kilometres west of Williams Lake. This is something new to me. I have never "Blogged" before so this is a first. I have never been to Haiti before either but let me explain where I'm coming from and the purpose of this blog. For those who may not know me or my background, I went on a "Youth Missions Outing" with thirty five other youth to the Dominican Republic back in 1982 to help build a church and ajoining school in a little town called La Isa Bella. While there I met the person who would eventually agree to become my wife. Fast forward twenty six years to December 2007, we decided to take our three birth children, two of which were teanagers, on a "Christmas Family Project" organized by Maranatha International to El Achiote, Ecuador where we joined approximately eighty other volunteers in building a school. The school grew rapidly and soon out grew it's capacity. Again in December 2009 we found ourselves back in El Achiote with about sixty other volunteers and with our now three teenaged children having the exciting task of building onto the same school. In, I think it was March 2010, Maranatha International contacted me reguarding volunteering in Haiti at the Hopital Adventiste d'Haiti, the only Hospital in Port au Prince,I understand, that wasn't damaged in the earthquake of January 12. With having just come back from Ecuador and work schedules and other commitments at the time I wasn't able to go. However since I expressed an interest in helping out at a later date they didn't give up and kept calling me back. To make a long story short I agreed to go in August to work in the capacity of Maintenance and / or what ever else needs to be done. I currantly work in the Maintenance Department of the Bella Coola General Hospital here where I live so think this is something I can handle. The heat may be something else though. I fly out of Kelowna B.C. on August 4,2010 and plan to share my expriences and pictures of what is going on in Haiti on this blog and hope you will find this interesting as you follow me day to day on my trip. I do not have a return date at this point as I am leaving it open until I see how useful I am to them and how long they can put up with me but I am planning on being there for at least a month. Hope you enjoy this and check in often as I will try to add content in the form of pictures and comments as I get ready for this adventure.

No comments: