Sunday, August 8, 2010

Thursday August 5

Thursday: My first impression as we taxied in and than boarded a bus was, Wow it looks pretty normal around here, but as we rode over to the Customs Office, which was a tin warehouse ,we drove over some pretty uneven broken up concrete. It took about half an hour to get through customs and then at least another half hour for our luggage to arrive. Then one more time through document inspection and I was outside under a tent. I had been told to stay under the tent until I saw someone holding a sign saying something about the hospital, HAH, CURE, Loma Linda, or ADRA. As I walked out under the tent, a well dressed Haitian lady was standing about ten feet away holding a sign saying KOZAK. I said that’s me and she motioned for me to follow. As we emerged from under the tent, we were assailed by many men in red caps wanting to help me with my luggage which was on a cart. I had to make it plain that one was all I needed. She lead us through areas of broken pavement and concrete walkways and to a waiting Nissan Pathfinder where the driver was standing and holding a Taxi License. Then I was greeted by Phil Hudson from CURE who told me he had all ready paid the driver and would pay the Bag Boy.

François turned out to be an interesting driver who spoke some English, Spanish, Creole and French. His Nissan appeared to be in very good shape. I wondered why he would need a 4x4 in the city but after we traversed some of the streets and back allies I thought if it rained very hard you might want to use four wheel drive.

It took us about one hour to get to the hospital from the airport. Upon arrival, François wanted a tip. I said you’ve already been paid. He said, “yes but tip, tip.” I said, “how much?” He said, “$10.00.” I said, “no, $5.00.” He said, “ok” and shook my hand. I realized that they will get what they can so go for the gold if you can get away with it. After all rich Americans can afford it right? After a tour of the hospital with Amy and introductions to Nathan Lindsey, her husband and assistant administrator, and Gary and Ron, who I will tell you about later, I found an empty corner to put my stuff and joined the work crew.

The hospital developed a problem with the water system on Thursday. We ran out. Now that’s a problem for anyone, but for a hospital in the type of climate we are in it is disastrous. Samuel the on sight Maintenance Man was working on that while I started working with Gary (an ex-construction contractor turned science teacher) and Ron (a teacher from northern Alberta) who were building a form and prepping a concrete beam, which was compromised in the earthquake, for reinforcement. A cage of rebar was constructed around and anchored into the existing beam and a form built to house all of it. It was quite a technical work of art. It was great to have Gary’s experience here to orchestrate that.

On the roof of the hospital is a water reservoir. It used to be used for water storage. After the earthquake an engineer was brought in from Loma Linda to asses the building. He told them not to use it anymore as it could compromise the structural integrity of the building. Someone must have forgotten to close the hatches and the day before I arrived it was discovered that rain had nearly filled it. Ron and Gary, the two guys I'm working with, had drained it and now we are trying to dry it out as moisture is seeping down through the cement wall and ceiling under it.

I must say there are so many pretty cute little black kids running around smiling and trying out their English on you and they all want to be in front of you if you have a camera. There is an orphanage close by with 160+ kids. Thursday, Lorna, Ron's wife, (I am sharing an air-conditioned room with this couple from northern Alberta) went with a couple of locals and a Haitian man who is here from the US a second time, to meet with the overseer of this orphanage. They found out he had no food for these kids so Lorna bought $300.00 worth of rice and beans and coal for him. He said that would feed the kids for three weeks. Can you imagine?

Amy had said she would find a place for me by evening as a couple of people were leaving later in the day. As I worked with Ron and Gary through the day, I was introduced to Ron’s wife Lorna. She would come by and watch us at times and talk with her husband. Later in the afternoon she approached me and asked if I had a place to stay yet. Then she said, “Ron and I have this air conditioned room and we are feeling guilty with so many others just sleeping on the second floor, balcony and hallways and there’s only the two of us. You are welcome to stay in our room.” Since we didn’t know each other and I didn’t want to impose on their privacy I told her such but she insisted that it was no problem. Later Ron talked with me and assured me they would be happy to have me stay with them. Wow, what a blessing for sleeping at night. That’s Canadian hospitality for you.

No comments: