Friday, August 13, 2010

Thursday August 12

Thursday:
High 32.3 Low 26.6

I’ve been here a week now but it seems like I’ve been here a lot longer in some ways.
A little slower of a day today with a variety of different things to do. Tonight as I was working on my blog, Nathan came in and said, “do you want to go on an excursion with me?” So off we went. There is a large white Canadian tent which has inflatable pillars that hold it up. These are controlled by three air pumps which maintain a specified pressure in these columns. So every time the power goes out for an extended period of time, the tent starts to slowly descend upon it’s inhabitants. Well Nathan had gotten word that the tent was collapsing even though the power had not gone out. I knew it had been raining so suspected a wet connection some where out there. Sure enough there was a breaker tripped and actually the receptacle had gotten hot enough to be all blackened like something had shorted. We searched around the tent tucking the connections inside after drying them and disconnected all the little wires and make shift connections to peoples lights and fans in their tents, found another receptacle to plug the power cord into and, voila, the tent began to rise again.
Canada Tent

Shortly after coming in from the above excursion, the surgeons came up from the OR. I had been wondering how the lights were in there since every other room in the hospital seems to have one or several lights and or ballasts out. So Kevin, one of the surgeons took me down where I discovered only one out of four fixtures in each operating room (there are two) were working properly. One fixture in each of them was totally dead. I worked in OR #1 for a while but couldn’t finish anything as I needed supplies from the Maintenance Room and Ron, who had the key, was in bed so will work on that first thing in the morning before they start surgeries.

The rest of the day I worked on lights, helped unload a shipment of 100 plus cases of Ped-lite and other odds and ends. 

There are three kids that live here at the hospital that you would just love to death. One little guy, Junior, is a little nut case. Mischievous, energetic, happy and always smiling, outgoing not to mention being a total clown doesn't totally describe him. He is ten years old and lost his mom two years ago. Three weeks ago he lost his dad to aids. He is HIV positive but you would never know it. He is such a cute kid who loves music and can dance up a storm to his own singing. Then there are two sweet little girls here. Mia is seven and lost her left leg in a car accident. She is mostly in a wheelchair but has been fitted with an artificial leg for which she is getting physio every day and coming along very well.  She is so cheerful and friendly as well and loves to learn peoples names and call out to them. Miranda is elven I think. She obviously had a very mangled leg I think from a car accident. She is also in a wheel chair with one leg elevated. She is also so cheerful and a big tease. She likes to call my name every time she sees me mostly because I think she likes the sound of saying my name so I always say hers back the way she says it (Mee-rrr-anda). She is also a cute kid.

Mia trying out her new leg.
Mia taking a rest at Physio


Jean Junior posing with Volunteer Staff:
 Nurse Jessica and Translator

No comments: