Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday August 13

Friday:

High 31.2 Low 26.6

Today started earlier than normal. Usually I get up between 6:00 and 6:15 am and have until 7:30 to myself. At that time we all gather on the front steps of the Hospital for a short devotional and get our directions for the day, then off to our various duties. This morning however, I got up at 5:45 and by 6:15 was in the OR working on lights so I could be finished and out before the day’s surgeries started. By 8:30, I was out of Theatre #1 and on to Theatre # 2 where there was a light out in the cam arm, and several overhead lights non-functioning. I had to solicit some help from Kristen, one of our volunteer PT’s that was leaving this morning, in getting the 36 inch lens and frame (bezel) back on. Once she came to help then suddenly two local workers came as well. It was great! By 10:00 I was finished with all I could do as I had used up my supply of tubes and ballasts so I went for breakfast.

Ron and Lorna went with Richard, the driver to Eco Depot today to pick up more supplies. I had planned on going with them but they were ready to go before I was finished in the OR so I told Paul, a new fellow here to go with them. They had hoped to go to a real Super Market and pick up some things and stop along the way at some roadside stands for some pineapple, tomatoes, cucumbers and mangoes but it apparently didn’t work out….they came back with only hardware supplies. Sometimes it is hard to do anything unscheduled as the driver has other commitments and other ideas.

I was just relaxing a little after breakfast when a truck arrived from ADRA with 1500 cases of Ped-Lite. We had known it was coming today, just didn’t know when. For the next two and one half hours we were going flat out moving boxes inside. It became a constant struggle to get the local helpers to understand that those boxes were not footballs and that if you throw them on the ground you will break the box and spill the contents and sometimes break the bottles. They would finally slow down after much persuasion by a few who knew what we were trying to accomplish but within two minutes they would be back to full steam ahead with boxes flying through the air and tumbling over and over. Then two or three would break and then someone would have to stop them so it could be picked up, then it would all resume again.


It was piled all the way to the gate on the right at the bottom. 
Some got moved before I got my video.
This cicular ramp goes from ground level to the second floor.
It completely surrounds the Chapel.

Wow what a workout. I was bushed as I hadn’t had lunch, the only meal provided here, and it was 3:00 pm. Fortunately there was still a bowl of soup and a cup of limeade left for me in the staffroom which I made short work of. After eating, I called it a day and just worked on my blog.

No comments: